Monday, January 12, 2009

Time

“Time is free, but it's priceless. You can't own it, but you can use it. You can't keep it, but you can spend it. Once you've lost it you can never get it back.” ~ Harvey MacKay


Time has been on my mind a lot lately. Maybe it's because I haven't blogged in almost two months. Maybe it's because I didn't get Christmas cards out this year. Maybe it's because Hailee has dance 3-4 days a week and basketball and 4-H and wants to do ski club. Maybe it's because Paige is in two basketball leagues and has 4-H. Maybe it's because Brad and I haven't been on a date for almost two months. Or maybe it's because we haven't had family home evening on a regular basis for quite awhile. Maybe it's because I got an AYSO soccer sign up reminder and wondered how on earth I will fit that in for Paige.


Friends, food storage, sisters, crocheting hats, and reading "breaking dawn" are some of the things that occupy my "free" time on a daily basis that I feel I need or that is good for me. I also can't say "no" to anything or anybody. And I find myself volunteering for lots of different things.

So can you guess what my one of my New Years Resolutions is? Time. Now I still have a lot of thinking and planning to do for this, but my goal is to free up more time for a couple reason. To be with my family and to spend family time together. And if that means to let some of the activities go, then so be it. I definately want to free up some time to do more blogging. I blog for my journal and well, you can see how thats been going the last couple months. Not good. I'm so impressed with some of my friends who journal so regularly. They will have those memories forever. So I've made a goal to journal at least once a week. And not for comments or to see who reads my blog, but to make a daily record of some highlights in my life and some of my feelings and especially to remember my kids and some of the stuff they say or do.


So to start of my resolution I took time tonight to cook with Paige. Paige is definately my daughter when it comes to cooking. She loves it. She got the cutest Paula Dean Cookbook from her Grandma Nelson for Christmas. Tonight I let her pick out a recipe and cook it all by herself. I, of course, was there to help with any questions. This cookbook is a great one for kids. It shows and tells step by step what to do and how to do it in a kids language. Very impressed! So we made porcupine meatballs tonight. The dinner itself was pretty O.K., but they were the cutest little porcupines ever. The picture doesn't do it justice.

10 comments:

Cheryl and Scott said...

You are such an awesome Mom!! I need to do better about letting Niamh be in the kitchen with me. You are always crazy busy, but you are always so happy while doing it. I need to learn to be more like you and quit complaining so much.

Heather said...

i miss ya when you don't blog karri. this summer i almost wondered if you were still alive. :) but family is first, but we'll take your cute posts when we can. welcome back. and yes, time is a tricky thing.

Brittany said...

Glad to see your back! Hope you had a wonderful holiday! I hope you still aren't trying to squeeze that whole coding thing into that busy life of yours :)

The High Family- said...

I don't know how you do it all. From taking care of your kids activities and planning an amazing enrichment last month, you are super woman. Glad you're back, missed your posts!

Anonymous said...

Hey Sista! Its about time you free up some time for more sister activities! Gees we only see each other like once a week or so!! I guess I have the same problem though, at least I get paid though :) So I love the new crochet! You'll have to teach me, seeing as I taught you everything you know about it! Haha oh and how are your nails? But it was a good blog and I'm excited that your going to write once a week! It will give me something to read while I'm busy at work lol!! Love ya SIS!

Kjerstin said...

You are one busy lady! I'm right there with ya on the time issue. There is always something begging for our time, it's deciding what is most important that gets difficult. I think you're wonderful! :) I'm going to email you about the coupons, but Albertsons ad changes tomorrow, so I'll wait until I have new info so you aren't wasting your time looking at old sales (speaking of time!:)).

Amberlee said...

I'm glad you were able to find our blog. It was fun to see eachother the other night! It's been a while. Your kids are so cute. I'm not so sure about trying for the girl thing, but I'll keep you posted :) I agree with you on the time issue-basketball just started again and it keeps us way busy, maybe too busy! Along with everything else we have to do. I hope you're able to do the recipe group. It's so much fun!!!

Alison said...

Love the porcupine meatballs. Paige is so cute! You're such a great mom Karri, I admire you for all you do! You're amazing!

Marne said...

Time is tricky, I agree! We all have to pick and choose what we spend our time doing. Great job letting the kids help in the kitchen! I need to do that more.

JEFF AND LINDSY said...

Your such a cute mom! The meatballs are adorable, she did such a good job. Sounds like to me that we all need to go out to dinner or something!